The State Policy Manager will oversee and manage the organization’s efforts to promote and support effective adoption and implementation of high-quality Career Technical Education (CTE) policies and programs at the state level. The ideal candidate will have a background in state education or workforce policy; strong project management skills; experience managing a team; have a passion for working in a mission-driven, non-profit organization; and be a team player committed to getting results in a dynamic and fast-paced environment.
About Advance CTE
Established in 1920, Advance CTE is the longest-standing CTE-focused national non-profit, representing State Directors and state leaders responsible for secondary, postsecondary, and adult CTE across all 50 states and U.S. territories. Our mission is to support visionary state leadership, cultivate best practices and speak with a collective voice to advance high-quality CTE policies, programs and pathways that ensure career success for each learner.
Our organizational culture and core values are guided by our vision and equity statements, which are driven by a fierce commitment to serving our members and increasing equitable access and success in high-quality CTE for each learner. To achieve this, we are a highly collaborative team that values initiative. We hold ourselves to high expectations in terms of being content experts who are inquisitive learners, producing high-quality work that supports the CTE field, and balancing listening and leading. We respect and expect strong communication and encourage staff to identify improvements and contribute to building solutions. For more information, see www.careertech.org.
- Oversee the organization-wide state policy strategy:
- Establish, update and monitor progress on an organization-wide state policy strategy that is aligned to our mission of supporting equitable and high-quality CTE and is responsive to members’ priorities.
- Oversee and contribute to the development of Advance CTE’s state policy resources, including policy benchmark tools, policy and research briefs, 50-state reports, implementation tools, fact sheets and others.
- Collaborate with staff to ensure the state policy strategy is aligned with other initiatives, including federal advocacy and communications.
- Establish strong and trusted relationships with other national partner organizations in the accomplishment of the state policy strategy.
- Lead technical assistance efforts with members, including development of technical assistance resources, overseeing contracts and generating new opportunities.
- Manage the New Skills ready network :
- Work directly with Education Strategy Group and JPMorgan Chase (and Advance CTE leadership) to provide strategic direction for the five-year, multi-million dollar investment.
- Manage every aspect of Advance CTE’s internal and external responsibilities under the grant, including all deliverables, grant reports, budget and staff.
- Build strong relationships with each of the six sites to help ensure they are successful and Advance CTE’s resources and supports are valued, visible and aligned with their needs.
- Serve as a strategic and experienced content expert, ensuring the development of resources and assets that meet Advance CTE’s brand and quality expectations.
- Ensure all activities led under this grant and any extensions are well coordinated with and leveraged within other organizational initiatives, projects and priorities to benefit the entire organization, its members and the broader CTE field.
- Contribute to Advance CTE’s member engagement and outreach activities:
- Develop an ongoing understanding of the CTE environment and the role of Advance CTE in serving the CTE community.
- Serve as an organizational spokesperson for Advance CTE.
- Actively engage members in the development of Advance CTE initiatives, publications and services.
- Coordinate with other staff on organization-wide publications and member communications, including newsletters, blog updates, research briefs, legislative briefing papers, analyses, social media/web content, presentations, articles, etc.
- Support Advance CTE’s members through the virtual learning strategy and convenings, including annual fall and spring meetings, etc.
Qualifications & Skills
- Advance CTE values both education and work experiences that demonstrate the ability to perform the essential duties and responsibilities of this position and estimates that a minimum of 7-10 years of related experience is necessary to carry out the duties of this position. In your cover letter, explain how your combination of education and work experience demonstrates your qualification for this position.
- Ability to think critically, use good problem-solving judgment, and take complex ideas and present them in a style for a layperson’s understanding
- Ability to develop and maintain positive relationships with a wide variety of people, including but not limited to, board members, staff, funders, state and local leaders, and key partner organizations
- Knowledge of and competency in equity, and racial equity in particular, with openness to increase content knowledge and skills in this area to support the organization’s ongoing work in this space
- Ability to work independently, accurately and meet deadlines and simultaneously manage multiple projects/tasks
- Proven experience as a skilled manager of staff, including experience coaching staff for growth
- Skilled written and verbal communications skills, including skilled written report preparation for research, policy and lay audiences, and public speaking with a style appropriate to the audience
- Ability to facilitate small and large-group discussions with various stakeholder groups
- Ability to handle confidential and sensitive information with discretion
- Knowledgeable of standard office equipment, as well as proficient with computer software programs, such as Word, Excel, PowerPoint
Preferred Qualifications & Skills
- Proven experience developing and managing complex budgets, including tracking expenses, staff time and other variable costs
Supervision Received: The State Policy Manager will work under the direction of the Deputy Executive Director.
Supervisory Responsibilities: The State Policy Manager will have supervisory responsibility for a Senior Policy Associate, two Policy Associates and consultants and contractors
Compensation: Salary range for this position is $75,000-$95,000; salary depends on relevant experience and new staff rarely start at the top of the range. Benefits include, but are not limited to, a casual work environment and no-cost health care for the employee; phased in benefits include a $155 per month transportation subsidy, 9% contribution to 401(k) plan (no match required), and the week off between Christmas and New Year.
Location: Advance CTE’s office is located in the Washington, D.C. metro area. This position can be either an in-office position or a fully remote position filled by an employee located outside of the Washington, D.C. area. At this time, Advance CTE’s office is closed and all staff are working remotely due to COVID-19. Advance CTE will prioritize its employees’ safety as it considers when and how to reopen its physical office.
Travel Required: Up to 20% of the employee’s time may be spent on non-local travel to carry out the duties of the position. Organizational travel is currently on hold due to COVID-19 through June 30, 2021.
Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to sit, stand, walk; use hands to finger, handle or feel objects, tools or controls; and reach with hands and arms. The employee must occasionally lift, carry, push, pull and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust focus.